Sunday, February 25, 2018

A birthday celebration a day early (324/365a)

Everyone wants to help blow out the candles, but only one of them gets a wish.

As a kid I somehow learned/understood that it was "traditional" to celebrate a birthday the day before the actual date. As I grew up, I slowly came to realize that this "tradition" was actually very strange. It's also traditional to put an extra candle on the cake, but that's a real thing, regionally.

But here I am, a few decades later, celebrating Theodore's 8th birthday on the day before.

It's also the last day of February vacation. I made a buckwheat and yogurt cake which was a great hit. We had it when we got back from our trip up and down the Schlossberg, where we followed a map of schlossberg trivia. It took way longer than I thought it would. We were a little bit distracted by sledding wherever we found a little bit of an incline. Even Brian and I went down a few times. Brian and the littler ones went home when we had only answered 3 out of 22 questions, but Theodore and I held out to the bitter end. It was very very very cold, -15C, and I got laughed at by Theodore because I couldn't write the numbers from 1-5. (1. my fingers were too cold to hold the pen 2.i was shivering 3.the ink was too cold to move)

Inside was yummy hot soup and cake and music. Theodore opened one of his presents, but we decided to save the rest for when he has his school friends over. That, and one of them hasn't arrived from online yet ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment