Monday, February 12, 2018

What a Day! (311/365a)

What did I do today??
More accurately, the question should be what *didn't* I do today?
lesson, rehearsal, recording, concert, dance-class, dinner alone, dinner with beer, cleaning, running through snow, early, late, on-time, organizing, forgetting, and so much more. 
On my way out the door to Elke, I vacuumed, and took out the compost (barefoot through the snow for the first time since last year, I guess) and hurridly wrote a "homework" for Felix. He can't read yet, but he really likes writing letters and words. AT CAT BAT FAT SAT ... next step is reading which is which. For now, though, he begs me to "write lines" for him. His idea, not mine!

The bus was inexcusably late. That is, the first bus never came, the second was full to bursting, and therefore excruciatingly slow. Somehow I managed to get in the door only 2 or 3 minutes behind, though I like to be there 15 min early to warm up.
Theodore had his lesson, including with the composer who wrote a piece for him, called Ein Penguin in Afrika. Super cute, lots of effects like bow-scratching, whispering while playing, col legno and syncopations.
Meanwhile Henry and I enjoyed some alone time. I finished the last of the wool from Mary's christmas hat into the worlds smallest and skinniest headband for the world's smallest head. Better luck next time. I can't really think of what to do with such a small amount of wool!

We got done so late, I put Theodore and Henry on the bus home alone, and headed directly to the city center to grab a quick bite to eat and get ready for the next thing.

Funny thing was, I really wanted soup and dessert, and asked for only soup, but when I got done with the soup they gave me a main course too, and I didn't feel like saying no, but then, finished with the dinner, I didn't want dessert anymore, and regretted it for the rest of the day.

I met Alice to get her signature on the contract that I should have gotten the day of the opera ball. I had forgotten it then, forgotten it yesterday (she also played in the Dom) and today it was icy cold, and the pen didn't want to write, but that was done! Met Barbara and Sophia and headed to record Charade, which was very very difficult for me, since a lot of it is very viola heavy, and everyone (including me) was very critical. We were also tuned lower than normal to accommodate some of the percussion instruments (glockenspiel and melodica) Also we got to watch our nearly completely finished video! We laughed until we wept and our sides ached.

I took two gigantic bags of black backdrop cloth to resew to the proper size, and since we left so late, I borrowed Barbara's 2-sizes-too-big black shoes for my 6:30 concert that I got to at 6:28. I was playing 4th, but two of the people before me were sick, and so I was actually on right away. I had just slipped into my shoes, and taken my instrument out when Elke popped her head through the door and asked if I was ready to go... I guess so! I sounded strange to myself in the big, mostly empty hall, but I think it was good, and I learned a lot somehow between this morning and this evening.

I tried to be clever and go the wrong way to get to dance class so I could be on the same bus as Brian, but my gigantic extra bags, backpack, music, camera, viola, etc. slowed me down (because I couldn't pass the stopped person on the escalator!) and the doors shut right before me and the bus left without me. Awww... No matter, I got there, danced the night away with various partners, and ended up with Brian at the very end. 

At home, Andi was relaxed and working on the couch. We shared some beer and bread (Austrian supper) and I tried to eat some leftover soup that I think one of my kids (probably Felix) had poured about a half a pound of salt into. Changed my mind on that one.

Found our first issue of the economist just before bedtime, and couldn't wait to read about the discovery (in the 40's) of what could of been Amelia Earhart's skeleton (talk about current events... only 80 years later!) 

The economist with my economist (doing bed-construction yoga)

No comments:

Post a Comment